Saturday, November 1, 2014

Day 33, Small Pause, "The Maker"


Summer Grace, 4x4in. Oil on linen/board.
Painted En Plein Air in Plymouth, Nova Scotia.






Available Here


Today's Small Pause...

Have you ever purchased a handcrafted item because you can feel the "maker's" touch imbued in the item? It might be a painting, pottery bowl or some other tangible item crafted by hand that elicits an emotion from you. I have purchased work because I feel this sense of charged energy or love as I hold or observe the item. There is something special present...almost like the artist is speaking directly to you. 

Being an artist, I have believed for a long time, that handcrafted items made with love and passion, are much different than big box store items. Not just because they are one of a kind,  but because the "maker's" own energy and love of craft becomes an intricate part of the item. 

This is one of the reasons I paint from life. Observing my subject from life, triggers my emotions and engages my senses. It helps me pour my whole person into my work. In the end, it is hoped that my love and passion for what I create can be felt by the observer. 

I recently watched a short video on this very thought, where Jonathon Fields explains this point beautifully. I have included it below. I hope you enjoy it and it gives you food for thought. The festive season will be upon us soon. Recalling this truth may aid in the type of shopping you do for your loved ones. Maybe, it will also entice you to create something handmade for someone, whether it be simple or complex. Handmade cards, baked goods, sewn items all come to mind. 


Warmly,
Debbie



Jonathon's Video 
(May take a moment to load)






P.S. Please feel free to add your own small pause or comments below.

P.P.S. You may also like to Subscribe to my free Fine Art Ezine and Fine Art Blog. Thanks!




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The marker must have been experiencing something of a euphoria when she painted it. ;) I love what Field says too. Thank you. I will pass it on in my piece of art I am currently working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much sweet Kate! I can tell you already pass your love along in your work. I am so glad you enjoyed the video! I love Jonathon Fields talks--he has a wonderful way of expressing his thoughts and ideas.

      Delete

Facebook Comments